I think one of the most challenging things to get in our diet is fiber. My goal is to get 25 grams of fiber everyday, and it took quite some time to hit that number consistently. Fiber has many benefits such as helping control blood sugar, reducing cholesterol absorption, promoting healthier weight, and regulating bowel movements.
Here are some fun ways to get more fiber in:
- Fruits and vegetables – Throw spinach into a smoothie or saute some kale. You don’t always have to resort to salads.
- Getting frozen fruits can be an easy snack, and frozen vegetables are a convenient way to cook and consume more fiber!
- Whole grains – I love getting whole grain breads such as Dave’s Killer Bread which has 5 grams of fiber!
- Oatmeal – Instant oatmeal is a great snack or pre workout too. You can even buy oatmeal with extra fiber.
- Quinoa – It’s packed with nutrients and fiber. It’s also another grain you can use to change up your meals!
- Cereal – Certain cereals have a good amount of fiber as well! Check the label before buying. My personal favorite is Kellog’s Special K.
- Beans – These are filled with protein and nutrients! It also makes an easy side.
- Nuts and seeds – These are great go-to snacks and have a good amount of fiber.
- Metamucil – This is more of a last resort, but you can drink this or other powdered fibrous drinks for extra fiber.