I have always loved and appreciated flowers and plants. I didn’t think I had a green thumb until I moved to LA and inherited many of my plants from my old roommate. I now have 24 plants, and my collection is growing! With so many of us spending time at home, gardening and tending to plants has become very popular. Here are some benefits of having more greenery in and around your home!
- Flowers, shrubs, and trees add color to your home! It’s like bringing the beauty and serenity of nature inside, especially with it being so cold sometimes it’s hard to get outside and enjoy the great outdoors.
- You learn to care for things other than yourself. Watering and tending to my plants has made me more mindful and compassionate towards myself and other living things.
- You learn to slow down and pay attention. Unlike humans and animals, plants cannot communicate what they’re feeling or what they want. You must be attentive in how to care for them when their leaves start to turn yellow or if they’re getting too big for their pot.
- You get to express your creativity and decorating skills. You can get brightly colored pots or mix up where the plants are placed!
- When you get really advanced with plants, you can even clip bits of them and regrow them. I’m still working on this, but I plan to propagate more plants as presents to family and friends!
- They freshen the air in your home! Certain plants are known to help with air quality.
- Plants just bring good and positive energy! They really do liven up the space.
I’ve really enjoyed this hobby of mine, and it’s helped me embrace new activities outside of fitness. If you’re new to this, start with one plant and then gradually get more. Try it out! You may discover you have more of a green thumb than you previously thought!